Sunday, February 10, 2013

Giant Boxes of Candy

The last time we saw a movie we were determined to resist buying popcorn and candy, but seemed to buy popcorn and candy anyway.  Amanda had been looking forward to seeing the latest zombie-based rom-com, Warm Bodies, an apocolyptic romp in which a handsome young "corpse" inexplicably begins to recover his heart-beat after eating the brains of the heroine's boyfriend.  To the best of my understanding.  Obviously, no human being should be required to watch this movie without popcorn and candy.  So AJ and I went to Target to buy a box of milk duds for me and an bag of gummy worms for Amanda, and some popcorn to pop in a pan.  While we pushed the cart around, looking at all of the stuff we didn't really want to buy, I read the ingredients of the candy.  Holy cow.  A movie sized box of milk duds has 3.5 servings, at 170 calories each.  Yikes.  If I had that whole box I would eat it all, or most of it. About 600 calories. The gummy worms had four servings, at 130 each.  The gummy worms were easy to portion out.  4 worms per serving.  The whole bag (16 worms!) 520 calories.  Dang.  Cripes.
AJ packed the candy into portion sized ziplocks, Amanda made a fuss.  She was pretty sure that she would eat the candy all at once and would then be candyless.  Her words.  She was almost crying.  We decided that 4 worms were pretty skimpy and increased her ration to eight.  I thought my milkduds were skimpy too, but I was trying to be a good example, so I didn't complain.  We packed our popcorn, candy and bottles of diet coke into our biggest purses and off we went to the 3:30 showing (still cheap seats!).
The movie was better than expected, the milk duds held out, and Amanda didn't even eat all of her popcorn.  I've already hunted around for the hiding place, but haven't found it.
When we got home, I made the most delicious fried rice ever, with fresh ginger, chicken, and peapods, with AJ as my sous chef.  The frozen potstickers were too old to eat, so we chucked 'em.  I was so glad I hadn't eaten the whole box of milk duds.

Kristin Ate
3 coffees with cream
bowl of kix with milk and sugar
peanut butter and honey sandwich with potato chips
 a diet coke
a gallon of popcorn with real butter
1/3 box milk duds
another diet coke
big pile fried rice
1 1/2 glass red wine
fudgesicle

Kristin Spent 
$15.00 on movie
$2.00 candy
$3.69 popcorn
$9.89 hair dye.

AJ ate
bowl of kix with milk and sugar
cookie
pb sandwich
chips
chocolate
fried rice
2 glasses of wine

AJ spent
$15.04 holiday gas
$2.59 2 diet cokes in bottles



1 comment:

  1. I just made a Vegan fried rice with tofu cashews and peapods. It was great and reminded me of you guys

    ReplyDelete