Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Red Underpants and Mylar Balloons

When my parents were young, my dad always got my mom nice, classy and traditional gifts on valentine's day.  The gift included a box from Dayton's with tissue and a nice, classy set of lady undies, lingerie, with silky panties and a matching bra, possibly a slip or a half-slip.  There was nothing pervy about it.  There was no such thing as a thong or even bikini panties then.  My mom could wear that underwear around the house and be fully covered.  Of course, she did not.  It was a nice, personal, mildly flirtatious attention from my dad to my mom; something I have to say he was pretty good at.

The four sisters in the family got underwear too.  A little box of candy and a pair of red carter panties.  My dad wanted to give us something "just like mama," but age appropriate.  It wasn't at all pervy, but very sweet.  By the time I was a teenager, we were focused on making the day nice for the nephews, and then my own children.  We got stuff from Welcome, but the undies went away.  There would be a big family dinner with red food, mom, dad, the cousins, and so many valentines on the table that we had to have an opening and a clearing before food could be served.  I loved that day.

Well, we don't gather like that any more, and Welcome and Sylvia have been gone for a while now, but I still want that sweet moment.  I have one child at home, and five grandchildren.  I've been searching the town for red underwear for my adult sons every year, no matter the cost, and often delivering days after the holiday.  I had the good sense not to get red underpants for the girlfriends and wives, thank, god, because that really would be pervy.  I think they think it's a little pervy that my boys still get red underpants from me.  AJ and I decided to rethink.  It's expensive, and probably not quite appropriate.  There is little reciprocation (which is ok- I'm not about that.)  We're conflicted.  These are the moments that our frugality falls apart.

The other thing- I was all ready to give up getting a red mylar balloon for each student.  My students are going to exchange cards but no candy.  All of the parents agree that candy kind of wrecks it.  I started to explain the balloon thing to my student teacher and almost choked up.  I decided to get the balloons again, and be frugal with something else.

So frugality is put aside, the pilgimage to Target is complete.  I can't spoil the surprise, but I will say that undergarments were purchased.

Kristin Ate
Egg on a bun
2 coffees with cream
4 animal crackers
diet coke
celery and olives
almonds- 1/4 cup
1/3 milk chocolate trader joes candy bar
a small brownie
triscuits and brie
handful of almonds
4 peanut butter pretzels
corn  chowder
2 biscuits
1/2 beer
McDonald's hot fudge sundae

Kristin Spent 
$157 at target on Valentines for amanda to give friends, for grandsons and boys and their girls, outfit for Amanda, and lovely gift for Amanda. Google eyes for school project.  Yow.  Not so frugal.
$3.69 at Michaels for rit dye and puff paint.

AJ ate
Hot chocolate
2 cups of coffee with cream
egg on toast
potato chips
salami turkey san
diet coke
celery
milk chocolate
corn chowder
2 biscuits
hot fudge sundae
1/2 beer

AJ spent
$10.78 diet cokes
$2,79 hot fudge sundaes

No comments:

Post a Comment