Monday, February 11, 2013

With a couple of goldfish crackers, I can rule the world.

I have all kinds of problems with manipulating behavior with food.  Not problems in implementation- I am a master at doing it.  I think it's morally wrong.  I remember hearing Alfie Kohn say that the Pizza Hut reading program was successful at creating fat kids who hate to read.  But what about a few goldfish crackers for kids who are dying to have just a little something to eat?  Is that so wrong?

I am teaching an after school class to a bunch of older kids who want to brush up on their math.  They are wild and wonderful, hungry for social time, academic success and FOOD!!! So hungry for food.  They will do anything, I mean anything for the chance to have a couple, literally a couple goldfish crackers.  If I fell the need for a little quiet worktime, I can say, "silent contest!" and walk around with a  bag of pepperidge farm goldfish, and they will bend their big old heads to their work.  pick up their pencils and go to town.  The loud ones, the funny ones, the needy ones and the silly ones.  Will work for goldfish.  Or a pretzel. And by that I mean one pretzel.  I'm not kidding.  
How hungry are these kids anyway?


Kristin Ate
egg on toast
2 cup coffee with cream
five animal crackers
1 piece of homemade bread
spaghetti with veggies
diet coke
celery
1/2 orange
bag of scooby snacks (stale)
Luna bar
3 goldfish crackers
hamburger with onion and mayo
potato chips
spinach
fudgesicle
...and a bowl of kix

Kristin Spent
$3.00 Amanda's field trip

AJ Ate
egg and toast
2 coffees with cream
black coffee
spaghetti with vegetables
popcorn
coke
spinach
hamburger
potato chips
15 almonds
orange

AJ Spent
$.75 on coke
$25.00 overdraft protection payment TCF
House payment

No comments:

Post a Comment