Monday, January 21, 2013

The Big Binge

So this weekend was a long one for me.  Three glorious days without too much to do, sandwiched between two really overpacked weeks.  We did some errands and some cleaning and some cooking together but mostly we binged.  Not on food, not on shopping, but on Downton Abbey.

Everyone was talking about Downton Abbey last year.  My son and his wife organized their weekend doings around it.  I knew that it was my kind of show.  World War I period piece with British nobility, a castle, and awesome clothes.  Perfect.  I got seasons 1 and 2 for Christmas, but AJ and I have also been binging on Dexter, which was the real reason for last week's cable downgrade-so-we-could-afford-an-upgrade.  For Dexter we have to wait for kid-free viewing space, so it's mostly a night time thing.  I thought Downton Abbey would be a nice thing to watch cuddled up in front of the fire on a cold, cold day.  And it was.  Oh it was.

I binged on Downton Abbey long enough to fall in love, and then long enough more to notice that the plot-lines echoed all of the best years of One Life to Live.  There was even an amnesia victim!  The classiest, most acclaimed show on PBS, a "masterpiece" production, is a well-dressed, well-written soap opera.  It reminded me of how we used to make sloppy joes and call them "American Style Boi."

I am now hopelessly devoted to Downton Abbey.  I love it.  I can't wait to finish the dvds so that I can catch up on the current season and watch it on Sunday nights like everyone else.  Here's what we ate while I was binging on Downton Abbey.  AJ cooked lots of it, obviously.

Kristin ate
3 cups of coffee with cream
1/2 waffle
2 corn pancakes
2 pieces of bacon
1/3 potato, fried
1/3 orange
1/4 cup almonds
diet coke
2 bits cold pancake
French Fries (homemade.)
burger with raw onion
romaine salad
green beans
healthy choice fudgesicle

Kristin Spent
$.99 mirror app

AJ ate
2 eggs
fried potatoes
2 slices bacon
1/2 waffle
3 pancakes
3 cups coffee with cream
1/3 orange
burger with lettuce, onions, mayo
salad
green beans
fries
coke
handful of almonds

AJ spent
$54.38 at Cub  cereal, diet coke, baked beans, chicken broth, malto meal, tortillas, chicken, oranges, grapefruit, broccoli, chinese peas, green pepper, buns, mixed vegetables, milk, biscuits, shredded cheese, sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment