Sunday, January 27, 2013

What's it all about?

So, now that we have followers, (2) the purpose of the blog has come into question.  As my sister Mary so eloquently put in during our phone convo today, "it's not like you are eating diet food!"  So true.  Oh so very true.  That's a big shout out, Mary! You made me think again about our intention with the consumption blog.

I have to confess that I thought that writing down our food consumption would cause us to eat less.  And it probably has.  But not so much that I didn't tear through the house today, looking for a snack, and find the extra bag of cinnamon imperials, AKA Redhots, that were left over from Christmas baking.  We had a hard time finding them this year, and requested that our kids be on the lookout.  A couple came through, and we ended up with an extra bag and an extra box, which were safe in the cupboard until this week, when my teeth on the left side started to take on a pinkish hue and my tongue started to feel a little raw.  Oh shoot.  I forgot to count the red hots as I ate them.

So yes, eating less is a goal, if I am being honest about it.  So is being honest.  I tend to be very private about a lot of things, (like none of your beeswax, defensive kind of private) especially things like eating and spending.  I was the one, when I was growing up, who used to eat ALL of the chocolate chips out of the bag.  Unless someone else was eating them too.  Which is possible. But no one ever talked about it or questioned me.  More chocolate chips would simply appear, and then dissappear into my mouth.  Strangely, they were kept in the little cupboard with the controlled substances, like brandy and cigarettes. I didn't sneak those.  Just the chocolate chips.  We all have our vices, I guess.

So, AJ and I need to cut down on what we eat, and also what we spend, and got to thinking that those two things go together, and wondered if we were capable of being honest with each other and ourselves about both kinds of consumption.  We are thinking that at the end of the month we will do a reckoning of both $ and food, and see if we can think of any changes to make, but I don't think we'll go on a diet beyond trying to eat good, local, fresh food as much as we can, and avoid food that's bad for us.

Also, we were inspired by Ben Sonquist's blog and thought it would be cool to make a resolution like he did, and write every day for a year.  So yeah.  Here's Sunday:

Kristin Ate
3 homemade caramel rolls (they were small but decadent.  I'd say the size of a peeled clementine.)
7 thin slices of irish cheese
3 cups of coffee with cream
3 pieces of left over pizza (so good, my goodness)
2 diet cokes
about 100 red hots
wild rice/chicken casserole
green salad
1/2 piece garlic toast
healthy choice fudgesicle

Kristin spent
$0.00

AJ ate
2 caramel rolls
4 cups coffee, 3 with cream
50 red hots
3 pieces of pizza
coke
wildrice hot dish
salad
toast

AJ spent
 $7.49 at Holiday on diet coke for kristin, so it should be her expenditure, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment