Monday, January 14, 2013

The Perils of Being Underplanned, or How it Happened that I ate 11 rRitz Crackers

So, I posted a link on my facebook page, and all of the sudden we have a following!  Tons of readers!  At least 5!  I'm not sure how I feel about being famous.  But that's what "living out loud" is all about, right?
Although neither of us ever said we want to eat less, clearly we both thought that if we wrote everything down, we would resist  the extra eating we do.  The impulses would be curbed.  I wondered how much I would eat if I was being watched.  I am conscious that I have to write things down, but it isn't really stopping me when faced with something special, like Kate G.'s famous almond torte.  It's practically a sacrament.  When offered, you should eat it. Really.  My teaching partner Dawn received the torte as a gift, and was kind enough to share it with the assembled teachers.  There is absolutely no way I would say no to that torte.  No way.  I did manage to stick to one moderate piece, when I really wanted about 3.
The other eating trigger today was the pre-dinner hour.  Already starving, we planned the dinner on our way home, with ingredients we had on hand.  A nice homemade chicken soup and a lovely green salad.  Crusty bread from Lunds, which was both an eating and a spending consumption.  I put the soup on and wanted to poach the chicken for 15 minutes or so.  It was cooking away when the timer beeped.  "Turn off the timer" I hollered, and AJ turned off the burner.  I checked on the soup awhile later and found it not cooking.  We figured out what happened, and I kept my temper mostly in check, but growled, "I'm going to need some cheese!" as I re-fired the soup and retreated to my blanket and chair.  Faithful and kind AJ,also sabotagey AJ,  brought me 7 ritz crackers with little pieces of irish cheese.  I ate them one after another, and went to the kitchen for 4 more.
The soup, salad and bread were delicious- unmarred by the unnecessary appetizer that preceded it.

AJ ate
2 eggs
2 toast
2 coffee with cream
cup of trail mix
bowl of chicken noodle soup
salad
3 slices crusty bread
shoe string potatoes
hershey kiss
7 crackers, 4 with cheese
glass of pop, 1/2 gingerale and 1/2 rootbeer, first one, then the other, not mixed.

AJ spent
$35.69  Augsburg (they charge to keep your account open!)
$2.99 bread at Lunds
$6.88 at Menards for trail mix and a J trap ( still using Menards rebate)
$160.OO to math tutor

Kristin ate
1 egg on toast
emergen-c
2 coffee with cream
almond torte (no regrets)
8 cheddar bunnies
celery, carrots
american potage! (one more time)
shoestring potatoes
medium caribout latte (first one since new year)  (I shared it)
11 crackers, 4 with cheese
1/4 cup trail mix
1 bowl soup
2 pieces bread
1 green salad
1 healthy choice fudgesicle
8 little mints from starbucks.

Kristin spent
$3.98 for coffee.

I'm proud that we cooked at home even on a Monday when we were dog-tired.  I bet our spending is down.  It feels good to be frugal again.


3 comments:

  1. Please start drinking all of your beer, if your trying not to be wasteful! No one likes Alcohol abuse!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Joe. We have to make our beer last and last. AJ and I usually share one. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told ya this will be a very famous movie someday.

    ReplyDelete